I’d say it’s time to create a category here strictly dedicated to caramelized cabbage because it’s all the rage on this blog. This time around, I’m pairing the sweet caramelized bits with a layer of rich herbed farmer cheese that I got from Lifeway, a cheese my mom and I are loving due to it’s probiotic benefits, which is then held all snug by a nice golden pie crust. I give you full permission to use store-bought pie dough for this or any of my galette recipes. I do offer a recipe for one below, just in case.
caramelized cabbage galette with herbed farmers cheese
for the pie crust
- 1 1/4 cup All Purpose flour
- 1 stick unsalted butter frozen
- 1/4 cup iced water
for the cabbage
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 6 cup green cabbage chopped
- 1 cup sweet onion diced
- 1 tbsp Hungarian sweet paprika or any kind you like
- 1/2 tbsp kosher salt
for the herbed farmers cheese
- 3/4 cup farmers cheese
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme chopped
- pinch of salt
for the crust
- In a medium bowl, whisk together your flour and salt.
- Using the larger holes of a box grater, grate your stick of frozen butter and gently toss it into the flour until every bit of it is coated in flour.
- Add in water and mix with your hands just enough til a dough forms. Wrap it in plastic wrap and leave it in the fridge as you work on the cabbage.
for the farmers cheese and cabbage
- In a small bowl, mix the farmers cheese, thyme, and salt together. Return it to the fridge til ready to use.
- In a deep sauté pan, heat the vegetable oil on low and add in the cabbage, onion, paprika and salt. Stir occasionally, every 10 minutes or so, for about 50 minutes. You'll want the cabbage and onion to brown up but not too much because it will continue to caramelize in the oven.
- Allow it to come to room temp before using. To quicken the process just pop it in the fridge for about 10 minutes.
for the galette
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Roll out your pie crust on parchment paper for an easy transfer to a large sheet pan. It doesn't have to be rolled out perfectly, that is the ultimate joy of the galette.
- Add a layer of farmers cheese at the center of the crust, leaving an inch of the edges naked.
- Add a layer of the caramelized cabbage. Fold in the edges of the crust and brush them with egg wash. Feel free to press thyme onto the crust. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown all over!
For other Lifeway recipes by me, head on over to my Instagram. A couple of weeks ago I turned my grilled spicy corn chowder into a DIP using their organic whole milk kefir and you are going to love it! Corn season is still going strong.